Pages

Friday 17 January 2020

SLJ Week 2

Week 2: “I Have a Dream…” - Politics and Activism
Day 1: Taking the Lead
Activity 1: Playing Favourites
Jacob’s Top 5 Things to Do (in no particular order)
Play Euchre with my family
Eat - RJLicorice  & Big Mac's
Spend time with my family
Play rugby
Play Games - Monoply & Game of life


Image result for all Monopoly
Image result for rugby world cup



Week 2: “I Have a Dream…” - Politics and Activism
Day 1: Taking the Lead
Activity 3: Dear Jacinda


Dear Jacinda
I am writing to you about this new rule from NZRU about not having representative rugby teams before U16.
I want to share my experience first.  I have been playing rippa rugby and rugby for the past 7 seasons at my local rugby club, Auckland Marist.  I have also been a playing for my school Pt England since year 5, and had a chance to represent Auckland at the Rippa Rugby championship in Wellington.  That was an awesome experience, even though we didn’t win.  I have practiced, trained, made new friends and had heaps of fun.  I knew when I got to Year 7 I would be allowed to trial for the Walter Dickson and Bill McLaren rep rugby teams here in Auckland.  It is unusual for a Year 7 boy to make it, but I wanted to try anyway.  At the trials I saw heaps of my friends from lots of different clubs and schools.  I didn’t make the Walter Dickson team, but it didn’t matter I was still determined to make the Bill McLaren team.  I made it! A few of my friends trialled and made it, and some didn’t.  But it is all good, because we knew that we could all train harder, trial together and then play rep rugby together.
Having the chance to play rep rugby gives me a goal to work towards.  I am competitive and like to know if I am as good as some of the others kids in Auckland.  I would like to one day represent NZ as an All Black, if I haven’t learned to accept losing early on in life, how will I cope when I am older.
I do think that people who are selected to play in these teams, should be picked because they are good team players, not because their parents are rich or they are related to someone.  I believe everyone should get a fair trial too.

Thanks for reading this.
From J



Week 2: “I Have a Dream…” - Politics and Activism
Day 2: Taking Action
Activity 1: A Long Walk to Freedom

Dear Diary
It felt good to be outside of my tiny damp concrete cell, but that sun was too hot.  My hands were bleeding today and my feet are starting to poke out the bottom of my shoes. I don’t think the guards care, they just make fun of us and treat us badly.  I don’t like when they are mean to us, I want to say something but I am worried they will beat us up too.  I don’t know how long I will be here.  I haven’t seen my family for ages, I miss them.  I hope they are ok, things haven’t changed out there, apartheid is still happening.  I wish I could stop it. Maybe someday.

2 comments:

  1. Great collective postings Jacob - Well done on posting and participating in the SLJ this year. Nelson Mandela spent a lot of time in jail, how do you think he coped? What could he do to keep his mind and body active? Keep blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Jacob,

    Thank you for posting such interesting blog posts! :)

    I really enjoyed reading your diary entry. You used such fantastic descriptive words. Do you enjoy writing? I really enjoy creative writing - writing where you can tell a story. How about yourself?

    Keep up the awesome mana, I'm looking forward to reading more of your fantastic posts.

    Blog ya later!

    Nga mihi
    Erica

    ReplyDelete