Pages

Tuesday 14 January 2020

SLJ Week 1

Week 1: Physical Limits - Exploration and Sport
Day 1: Explorers
Activity 2: Discovering Aotearoa

I am proud to say that my cultural background is a bit like a “fruit salad”, very mixed. My dad’s family are from the Cook Islands (Mangaia and Rarotonga) and Tahiti. My dad’s family from Tahiti have connections to France. My mum’s family are from Fiji and Aotearoa (Ngati Porou me Te Whanau A Apanui). My mum’s family from Aotearoa have family connections to a small town in Leicestershire, England too.

I have a lot to learn about my cultural background and can’t wait to go to family reunions later this year.


Week 1: Physical Limits - Exploration and Sport
Day 1: Explorers
Activity 3: Scaling New Heights

The SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) it one of New Zealand’s oldest charities. It has been around for over 140 years. They help look after and protect animals who have no home, are sick, are not looked after properly or injured.


Week 1: Physical Limits - Exploration and Sport
Day 2: Up in the Air
Activity 1: Flying Solo

Jean Batten and Amelia Earhart were amazing women aviators.








Week 1: Physical Limits - Exploration and Sport
Day 2: Up in the Air
Activity 2: One Small Step for Man

I can’t believe it

I’m really here!

On the moon

Where there is no air

I feel like I’m floating

Like a balloon

I better make the most of it

I won’t be coming back here anytime soon.


Week 1: Physical Limits - Exploration and Sport
Day 2: Up in the Air
Activity 3: Miracle on the Hudson

Did you know I have 2 steel pins in my arm?

When I was about 3 years old, my sister, cousin and I were jumping on the trampoline. Mum and Dad were going away for the weekend, so we were going to stay with my Aunty. As my parents were leaving, I started to fall backwards on the tramp. No big deal right? But I tried to stop myself from hitting my head so I put my arm behind me to steady myself. The next thing they knew I was scream crying and lying on my back. My parents raced back down the driveway and took me to the doctors. It ended up I had to go to Starship because my arm might be broken. The doctor at Starship said the xray showed my arm was broken but it would need surgery and 2 steel pins. This all happened about 4pm. Mum and Dad told me to be brave and to wait that the doctors would fix me and make me better. I went into my operation without my mum or dad at midnight. It took them about 2 hours to finish my operation. I stayed in the hopsital with my dad for the night and then was banned from playing on the trampoline for like 2 months. But I still sneaked on.


Week 1: Physical Limits - Exploration and Sport
Day 3: Team Players
Activity 1: Rugby Superstars

If I could have superpowers for a day I would want

SUPER SPEED - so I could get to places quicker

SUPER STRENGTH - so I could help people lift heavy stuff

SUPER XRAY VISION - so I could see through walls, so I would know when my parents are coming so I can pretend to be asleep.


Week 1: Physical Limits - Exploration and Sport
Day 3: Team Players
Activity 2: Defying the Odds


If I could I would interview Stephen Curry. I would ask him

How does it feel to win MVP?

Being a baller family (a family who plays ball sports), does your sister want to play b.ball or will she stick with volley?

Do you think you will be moving to another team any time soon? If yes, which team?

If you could be a superhero for a day, what 3 super powers would you have and why?

How would you feel if any of your kids wanted to play rugby for NZ Black Ferns or All Blacks instead of basketball?


Week 1: Physical Limits - Exploration and Sport
Day 4: Individual Pursuits
Activity 1: Making a Racket


Name: Billie Jean King (Billie Jean Moffitt)

Born: 22 November 1943

Where: Long Beach, California. USA

Her tennis career lasted 24 years (1959-1983)

She fought against sexism in sports and society

Her family weren’t able to pay for her to join the local tennis club, so she learned at public tennis courts.

I do wonder if Billie Jean ever had kids and whether they played tennis as well.


Week 1: Physical Limits - Exploration and Sport
Day 4: Individual Pursuits
Activity 2: What’s in a Name?


If I could change my name to a different name I would change it to Dan Carter. If I had the same name as the famous All Black, maybe I would be able to kick really good like him too.


Week 1: Physical Limits - Exploration and Sport
Day 5: Against the Odds
Activity 1: National Treasure


I treasure my family. My family love me, look after me and have fun with me.

I treasure my testimony of God and Jesus Christ. It helps me to know that God is always there to help me when I pray to him.

I treasure my good friends. I have some really good friends who help me to make the right choices, they look out for me and help me when I need it.


Week 1: Physical Limits - Exploration and Sport
Day 5: Against the Odds
Activity 2: Swimming to Safety

Yusra and her sister were off on a journey to find safety in Europe because their country, Syria was having a war.

On the way the engine of their little boat broke down, so Yusra, her sister and 2 other people jumped out and swam next to the boat for 3 and a half hours so the boat didn’t capsize.

A year later she was recognized by the IOC (International Olympic Committee) and became a member of the first ever Refugee Olympic Team.

She has met famous people like, Barack Obama, and the Pope.

5 comments:

  1. Tēnā koe i tēnei ahiahi Jacob,

    It is lovely meeting you! I am so excited that you are joining us for the Summer Learning Journey 2019-2020. Have you done this programme before?

    This is my first year joining the Summer Learning Journey, and I am so excited that I get to read over the Manaiakalani blogs.

    I’m really looking forward to summer, aren't you? In my spare time I like spending time at the beach and hanging out with my friends. I also enjoy going for walks and I absolutely love cooking and baking. What are you looking forward to doing this summer?

    Wow, you've done a lot of work on your first post! That's so awesome to see. Which was your favourite activity to complete? I really enjoyed reading your story about your experience on the trampoline. It's so awesome that you were brave, that would have been so scary.

    Can I make a suggestion? It would be cool to see all these activities done separately or done by allocated days? This way each activity you do can stand out for everyone to see! :)

    Nga mihi
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica

    I have done the Summer Learning Journey before, but I am doing it because my parents think it will help my learning this year. I hope that you are enjoying it.

    I love summer. I have played rep touch for Auckland the past two years so I have always been busy. But no touch this year, we have been spending time together and trying to limit technology.

    I only get to use the internet when I come to the Auckland Library, so I have had to do all my posts offline, then upload in one big go. I would have liked to have posted more pictures but my internet time is limited.

    Thanks for reading my posts and blog. Enjoy the sun!

    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Kia ora Jacob,

      Thanks for getting back! :)

      Well, your parents are definitely onto something. The Summer Learning Journey activities do support learning. But I find that the activities are so fun and interesting that sometimes you forget that you're even doing work!

      That's nice that you have been spending time with your family. Limiting technology can be difficult sometimes, but it is so important! Do you have a favourite book that you like to read instead?

      That is so incredible to know you make the effort to get the Auckland Library to work on your Summer Learning Journey activities. I'm very impressed.

      Looking forward to reading your next post, one more week to go!

      Nga mihi
      Erica

      Delete
  3. Hi Jacob,

    I was really impressed to hear that you have been uploading these at the library. That shows a real commitment to your learning! You are setting yourself up for a solid 2020.

    Mrs Stone

    ReplyDelete